Thursday, 17 November 2016

Change-over

I like change (to a degree). I don't like monotony, doing the same things over and over again with little or no difference in results. So for me, I'm looking forward to the new placement: a new team, a different workload, a different set of skills to learn. It keeps work interesting and keeps me on my toes.

I don't think I've mentioned properly that I've been on a cardiology ward all this time. We treat the same things MI's (heart attacks) and heart failures. All. The. Time. It was interesting and new to me in the first couple of months but now it's becoming tiresome.

I know that each specialty will have their common conditions that keep cropping up such as respiratory will likely by COPD and asthma and gastroenterology will be alcoholics with ascites and so on. I'm just looking forward to a different set of conditions. I know when I get to the third/ fourth month in I'll probably start to get bored again and start itching for the next placement.

Did I mention, that my next placement will be unbanded? That means no on calls. No night shifts, no weekends, no evenings, just bliss. Though that also includes no money, I think can live with that for a short while. Just having my weekends and my evenings and possibly getting home on time is a good compensation. Maybe I might get a hobby or two. I might try something new, possibilities are endless. And over Christmas as well. Which means I'm guaranteed days off and I don't have to nervously await a rota to tell me my fate.

I'll miss my team though. They have been one of the consistent perks of my placement. I've enjoyed their company and they've been incredibly supportive. I couldn't have asked for a better set of people to work with. The consultants and registrars were great as well especially once I  got to know them better. I'll miss having that network. I think my next team will be much smaller, just me and another junior doctor. I'm hoping they're nice. Being with a difficult person could make the next 4 months seem like 8 months.

This is essentially goodbye to medicine for the next 8 months. I know I'm more inclined towards medicine than surgery, so I'm a bit apprehensive to the next 8 months of surgery. It's a whole different atmosphere. Hopefully, everyone is nice and I only come across a few of those 'special' temperaments that you seem to come across more often in surgery.



No comments:

Post a Comment