Thursday, 11 August 2016

Ward Round

My first official day as an FY1* was pretty brutal.

The ward had only two doctors for the ward round: an FY2 and me. No consultants, no registrars, no CTs. Just me and the FY2. My anxiety levels are still sky high just thinking about it. There were 20 something patients to see and after doing several together, we decided to divide and conquer if we wanted to get home before midnight. I felt so out of my depth. Luckily, the FY2 was really nice and let me ask all the questions I needed to.  So we split up and that's how I began my very own ward round. It felt weird to be in charge rather than following someone else round like I did in medical school. I imagined the patient would take one look at me and know I was a fraud. There wasn't anything majorly acute thankfully.

Another thing was the ward was still very new to me. I know I spent time shadowing before I started but there's only so much you can learn in a few days. I'm still trying to orientate myself to where everything is and it makes doing tasks that much harder. There's a whole system of doing things, which is difficult to get used to. Certain jobs have to be done a certain way.

That first day was the big changeover day, meaning all junior doctors change onto a new rotation which for many means a new hospital. For F1s we had a grace period which was a few days of shadowing to get us accustomed to our new role. Everyone else just has to get on their new ward and get on with it, which isn't ideal. That means a whole new bunch of doctors trying to find where everything is and how the system works.

I met the rest of the team after their induction and they are all super nice. They were asking me loads of question  and I gave them the benefit of my extensive experience on the ward (2 days worth). So at this point it's very much like the blind leading the blind.

We'll muddle through. It always makes things easier when you work with people who are genuinely nice and are happy to help.

*foundation year 1

No comments:

Post a Comment