Thursday, 21 July 2016

Medical School Graduation

I've graduated and I'm now officially a doctor. It's still not fully sunk in yet. I had my graduation ceremony a few days ago and I felt such a mix of emotions. Walking alongside friends that have been with me for the last 5 years, as we took our final steps was surreal.

You could see and feel how excited everyone was. All of our efforts had led us to this single point. The tears, the frustration, the hard work and sacrifices made along the way seemed worth it as we waited for the ceremony to begin. We sat through the speeches nervously adjusting our robes and anxiously awaiting our moment. Should we take our caps with us on stage? Should we hold the rail?  All of our minds were on the same thing: I hope I don't trip and fall on stage.

No one did trip, not even a stumble. There were times when I was nervous just watching the high stilettos some of the girls were wearing but everyone managed the stairs, the walk, the handshake and the descent pretty well.

It was all smiles and congratulating afterwards. Plenty of hugs and pictures all around. It started raining lightly which is to be expected. What's a celebration without a little British weather to make the occasion more memorable. We all ran for cover.

Unfortunately my year is a big one, around 450, and so the ceremonies had to be split in two. This meant that one half of the year donned their robes, took their pictures and had their ceremony before the other half had arrived to do the same.

The whole day seemed to rush by. I remember running around and being pulled in so many directions. I took so many photos my face felt like the Joker. I would run into a friend and after we congratulated each other, an excited parent (probably mine) would pull out a camera and a few other Iphones and cameras would follow. We would be stuck looking into 5 different lenses at the same time.

It was over before I knew it and I sullenly disrobed and handed in my cap. I perused the novelty gifts on offer and bought a CD so that I could at least relive the short day a while longer. The time has gone by so quickly, it feels like only yesterday I wrote this post at the beginning of fifth year. It's sad to think that all 450 of us are going our separate ways. What bound us together is now in the past. Now, we move in search of our different paths which may cross at some point but will probably never align us in the same way. Those 5 years are over, and even though I'm already longing to go back and relive all the great moments, it's time to move on. It's hard to say goodbye to people that you've known for such an important part of your life.

In less than two weeks, I will be starting the next part of my training. Now the adulting begins.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Hopefully you are excited about the adult life ahead - perhaps work with you on a ward sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Imagine if we did!

      Delete