Friday, 9 October 2015

Third Years

Third years have started term and they're just so cute. At this medical school, the first two years are spent on campus, sitting in lectures and working on group tasks. Then in third year, clinical placements commence.

You can tell how nervous and scared they are in the big scary hospital, walking behind the big bad consultant. They look at me as if I'm super confident and I know what I'm doing. But I don't, I'm just more confident knowing that I don't know. I just want to tell them it's all going to alright and not to worry. At that stage, you worry that you don't know anything, but it's fine because everyone assumes you know nothing, so they're more willing to teach.

I'm starting to forget what it was like because it seems so long ago.  It feels like a lifetime ago I was in their shoes, wondering what I was supposed to be doing and where I was supposed to be. My first placement was on the acute unit, which meant big ward, with lots of patients, doctors and nurses. It always seemed to be really busy and I couldn’t get my head around how it all worked. It didn't help that our supervisor wasn't very  useful.

Some things never change though; half the time I still don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment