Monday, 15 June 2015

Flirty Consultants


I am awkward by nature and I am not remotely flirtatious. The two together is not a good mix. So when I found myself in a situation where a significantly older colleague is overly complimentary, all I could do was smile politely and think "Oh God". It did not help that we were the only ones in the room.

As a medical  student I constantly have to receive feedback as we progress to show that we identify our weaknesses and implement plans to address them. It's a never ending cycle of reflecting.

Around 8 of us were receiving individual feedback from this particular supervisor and it's my turn. I walk into the room and mentally pick out a chair that's not too far and not too close. And before I sit these are the first words he says 'you're looking taller and thinner since the last time we met', finishing with such a cocky grin. I'm not sure how to take this so I mutter an embarrassed 'thanks' and sit myself down ungracefully, hoping this will be a very brief meeting.


Needless to say, I will not be reflecting on that statement.

2 comments:

  1. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’”
    Reminded me of one of the ER consultants. When the compliments come from a senior supervisor and it has nothing to do with your work😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and now I feel awkward every time I see him...

      Delete